More than 50 leaders gained practical advice they can use to help build on the success of their businesses and organizations during Moraine Park Technical College’s inaugural Live2Lead event. Leaders from area businesses, as well as non-profit and educational organizations, heard from world-renowned leadership speakers during the live simulcast Oct. 8, 2021.
The event was offered in partnership with The John Maxwell Company, which helps individuals and companies reach their full potential through leadership coaching.
“I wasn’t sure what to expect and I was thrilled with the depth of the information shared by leaders that spoke that day,” said Shari Buerger, human resources manager at Marchant Schmidt, Inc. “Each speaker shared their leadership journey with passion and excitement. It was impossible not to get excited about the opportunity to bring back these experiences and try to live them in my workplace. I will definitely attend again in the future!”
Each speaker brought their leadership journey to life through shared personal stories and lessons learned:
- John Maxwell shared two of the laws discussed in his book and online course, “21 Irrefutable Laws of Leadership”. The Law of the Inner Circle says those closest to you help determine your level of success—they can be a great asset or a great liability. The Law of Legacy helps leaders understand that they will be valued by the legacy they leave in people rather than in the organization.
- “Know What You’re FOR” author and entrepreneur Jeff Henderson asked participants two questions: What are you known for? What do you want to be known for? To succeed as an organization, Henderson said, you have to switch from self-promotion to showing care and being an advocate for your customer, for your team, for your community and for you.
- IT Cosmetics founder Jamie Kern Lima used her rags-to-riches story to help those whose success may be stymied by self-doubt. To succeed, it takes belief in yourself, grit and listening to your gut, rather than listening to those who tell you no, she said.
- Certified personal and executive coach Valorie Burton walked attendees through questions that would help them define their vision and values so that they could lead authentically. Burton said opportunities, challenges and relationships—today and in the future—will guide leaders toward their vision.
- Author and host of the top-rated “Max Out Your Life” podcast Ed Mylett encouraged everyone to be an evangelist for their cause and their company. People don’t have to believe what you’re saying, he told the audience, but they have to believe that you believe what you’re saying.
After the simulcast, existing and senior leaders had the opportunity to share ideas and discuss how they could use what they learned within their businesses. Some of the discussions centered around cultivating employee and customer advocates, enhancing company cultures, defining what success looks like and opportunities for future growth.
MPTC’s Economic and Workforce Development division was able to bring the Atlanta-based live simulcast to Fond du Lac through generous sponsorships from Marchant Schmidt, Inc., Presenting Sponsor; J.F. Ahern Co., Book Sponsor; Kondex, Wabash National and Fortfi Bank, Lunch Sponsors; Apache Stainless Equipment and Envision Greater Fond du Lac, Value Sponsors.
If you missed the live event on October 8th, you can now watch every minute of the 2021 Live2Lead Leadership event virtually! This virtual rebroadcast option gives you 3-days of on-demand access starting the moment you activate your pass. To learn more about the event and how to register for the virtual rebroadcast, visit morainepark.edu/live2lead.