Culinary’s Egg Bread Recipe!
Moraine Park’s culinary program is sharing their recipe for Egg Bread- one of the favorites around campus! Typically, these breads would be available for purchase- however, COVID-19 safety restrictions don’t allow that this year. For now, we hope you enjoy some time in your kitchen, and around your dinner table, with this delicious bread recipe!
Egg bread is the traditional bread for festive braiding. It contains eggs, brown sugar, unsalted butter and milk. This bread has a light smooth texture and a rich, sweet taste. Kids love it as sandwich bread, and it is also excellent for breakfast or special dinners. (Egg bread makes wonderful French toast.)
Ingredients Measurement Weight
Flour 4 – ½ cups 650 gm
Milk 1 – ¼ cups 300 gm
Whole Eggs 2 100gm
Yeast ( dry instant) 1 Pkt 7 gm
Salt 2 tsp 13 gm
Brown Sugar 1/3 cup 90 gm
Unsalted butter 1/3 cup 90 gm
TOTAL 2 LBS 8 OZ
This bread makes 2 loaves of bread or can be used for braiding.
- Melt butter in milk and cool to lukewarm. Add all ingredients into a large mixing bowl and mix with one hand until all flour is picked up. The dough should be sticky and soft at this stage. Cover and allow to sit 10-15 minutes.
- Empty dough onto a floured work surface and stretch and fold until dough begins to feel elastic (usually about 5 minutes). Keep enough flour on work surface to prevent dough from sticking while stretching and folding.
- Oil mixing bowl and place dough in it. Allow to rest covered for a total of 1 hour and 45 minutes.
- At 30 minutes – gently stretch and fold.
- At 1 hour – stretch and fold gently.
- At 1 hour 30 minutes – stretch and fold gently.
- Remove from bowl and let rest 15-20 minutes. Divide dough into 6-9 pieces of similar size.
- Roll each piece out to about 10-12 inches with both ends tapered. Cover and allow to rest 5 minutes. Braid two pieces into Challah shape or use three pieces and braid into standard braid. Brush entire loaf with beaten egg.
- Place onto greased or papered pan, cover and let rest 45-60 minutes. Brush with beaten egg and bake at 375 degrees for 20-30 minutes until deep golden brown in color.
The following link on will show some ways to use the above recipe. Enjoy!