Transition Specialist? What’s That?!

Moraine Park Transition Specialist Melissa Schmidt working at her desk

Transition and change are a part of college life, for sure. The transition to college can involve changes to your life flow, your work schedule, your family’s life, your finances, and much more. Navigating the campus resources can be tough, but you don’t have to do it alone!

Hello! My name is Melissa Schmidt and I have a newer role on the MPTC campus that can be utilized by many students! My job title is Transition Specialist, and if you feel like you’re in transition in some way, you might be just the student to come see me!

Who Should See Me?

The Course-Taker: We know there are a lot of students out there that don’t have academic direction…yet. Maybe you’re taking a variety of classes, and maybe even just one course at a time! You are trying to decide what you really want to do, but you don’t have it figured out just yet. I can help! Let’s talk!

The GED/HSED Student or Graduate: This may or may not be you, but there are many students who earn their high school credential by way of earning their GED or HSED. We offer the opportunity to earn these credentials on the Moraine Park campuses, in case you were not aware. If you are in a GED/HSED program, it’s not too soon to start talking about a plan for after you earn your credential. I will sit down with you to develop a Transition Plan, and we can be sure you are staying on track to accomplish your academic goals after you graduate with your GED/HSED.

The Dazed and Confused: Sometimes we all feel a little this way! Perhaps you feel disconnected on campus for whatever reason, and don’t know what resources at MPTC are available to help you. Perhaps you need a tutor, or to utilize the Success Center. Stop by my office in A-224, and I’ll be happy to meet with you to talk about what resources can help, and point you in the right direction. I may not be able to meet at that moment, but I’m happy to make an appointment. Just email or call me at 920-924-6394.

Plan B Students: We all know that sometimes “Plan A” doesn’t work out, and you have to resort to Plan B, but don’t quite have that figured out yet, academically. Let’s sit down and create a Transition Plan that outlines your new direction and goals. I’m happy to help, just make an appointment!

So how can we meet?

Make an appointment! I answer my phone, and reply to emails within 24 hours unless out of the office for vacation. My email is, or call 920-924-6394. I am housed at the Fond du Lac Campus in A-224, next to the Student Success Center (around the corner). I’m a little hidden, but easy to find if you walk past the Student Success Center.

PS: The Tutoring Services Specialist, Michelle Duran, is also near my office! Stop by to see her if you need a tutor!

I look forward to meeting you!


Written by Melissa Schmidt