Moraine Park instructor, Gus Boyle-Gustavus, has been named a 2020-2021 Educator of Promise. This qualification has awarded her the opportunity to participate in the Educator Leadership Rendezvous this July.
This event is offered annually by the Wisconsin Army National Guard (WI ARNG), the Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction (DPI), and Wisconsin Association for Middle Level Education (WAMLE). The three-day leadership retreat is designed to engage Educators of Promise to build leadership skills and strategies, connect with educators across the state, and learn how to uplift teacher voice and leadership in their roles.
Participants will learn through hands-on activities and leadership labs about topics such as:
- military life, and especially the lives of military families and children in our schools
- common leadership lessons and scenarios
- building culture and community
- applying leadership to problem-solving, to improve student outcomes, schools, and communities
- the effects on us all of PK-12 academic and career planning, equity and trauma-informed decision-making, and college and career readiness
- Curricular connections to classrooms, including STEM, Social Studies, and history
- Professional networking and relationship-building that live on far beyond the event
“I am hoping to learn more about leadership skills in a college setting, inside and outside the classroom,” Gus said. “I am especially looking forward to learning more about how to connect with, and uplift, the lives of military families and underprivileged students. I am always looking to better myself, just as most instructors are. I’m looking forward to doing this by connecting with other educator’s, outside of Moraine Park, and learning a tremendous amount of information from them. I want to learn how to help build a stronger sense of culture and community at Moraine Park. I believe Moraine Park is an amazing place to work. How do I help get others to believe this?”
Congratulations Gus on your commitment to education, leadership and Moraine Park! We look forward to hearing about your experience at the Educator Leadership Rendezvous.