Maker Art Gallery was founded by five Business Practice Firm students from a variety of program areas. Maker Art Gallery specializes in selling handmade arts and crafts at an affordable rate. They inspire creativity to shine through different dimensions by offering different types of art such as spray paint art, wreaths, and drawings.
Robin Peebles, a graduate of Moraine Park Technical College’s Cosmetology Program, knew it was time for a change. Upon graduation, she looked forward to starting her new career and accepted employment with a small salon in Oshkosh. After gaining experience over the next seven years in different salons, decided renting a booth would be the logical next step but it didn’t take her long to begin thinking about starting her own business.
Becoming an entrepreneur would allow her to create an atmosphere for her clients to “achieve a state of bliss while visiting the salon” and would definitely provide an opportunity to achieve financial success, while becoming more independent.
“I had the skills and ambition to make the dream a reality but soon learned there were things I needed help with. Immediately, I needed help with writing a business plan and spent quite a bit of money hiring someone”. After her initial investment and her business plan in place, Robin opened the doors to Euphoria, Inc. an Aveda concept salon specializing in hair and makeup services.
As she became more invested in her business, Robin soon realized there were additional skills that she would need such as payroll, how to prepare accounting and tax reports, and determining effective marketing strategies. Through a great deal of hard work, Euphoria, Inc. has been a success but Robin cautions those who are thinking of making the leap to entrepreneurship.
“I am happy I made the decision to open my own business; however, it has not been an easy task. Owning a business is more than having the skills associated with the trade. You need to have business skills and constant problem solving to achieve solutions”.
If you are considering your own business, Moraine Park Technical College offers a certificate program and associate degree program to enhance your existing skillset. The programs provide new and existing entrepreneurs hands-on training in the areas of business planning, financing, marketing, customer service, financial management and business communications.
Jeff Stueber, Business Management Instructor at Moraine Park Technical College comments, “An entrepreneur is a doer, not just a dreamer. It takes a lot of hard work and passion. Robin demonstrates that in her pursuit of her salon while voicing some of the obstacles that might get in the way. That is where a class or certificate might come in handy. Entrepreneurs are vital to our economy and they account for 28.8 million businesses in the United States according to the SBA. The interesting part is we still need more. Imagine what our down town districts would look like without small business.”
If you are interested in learning more about the Small Business Entrepreneurship associate degree or Entrepreneurship Certificate, please contact an academic advisor to get started on your new career pathway!
- Julie Bosveld, 920-924-6325 email@example.com (Fond du Lac campus)
- Laurie Kuehn, 920-887-4457 firstname.lastname@example.org (Beaver Dam campus)
- Robin Kranz, 262-335-5877 email@example.com (West Bend Campus)
To learn more about Moraine Park, visit morainepark.edu.
There are many organizations that support entrepreneurs and inventors. Most are very good and provide valuable services, but trying to find the right one to meet your needs can prove time-consuming and tedious. How do you find the right one?
Global Entrepreneurship Week is recognized in 130 countries including Australia, Sweden and Zimbabwe. This year the world’s largest celebration of entrepreneurs takes place the week of November 14-20. Global Entrepreneurship Week is a global eco system that promotes entrepreneurism by engaging, connecting, and inspiring new audiences to think about starting their own business someday.
Have you ever thought about starting your own business? This is a great time to explore the opportunity.
- Congrats Spring 2019 Boot Camp Grads! on
- Catching Up With Arletta on
- Electricity & CNC Students Earn Spot at SkillsUSA Nationals on
- Congratulations Fall 2018 Award Winners! on
- “I have quite the life journey that I believe can help young mothers and women” on
- Jim Hokenson, Leading The Future Of CNC! on
- Jim Hokenson, Leading The Future Of CNC! on
- We always want our students to succeed here at MPTC See our full list of student resources by visiting -… https://t.co/PLqkZFtYy17 days ago
- Do you remember when manufacturing jobs were known as dark and dangerous? Moraine Park’s CNC/Tool and Die instructo… https://t.co/k3hHxcUh4J11 days ago
- Whoa, our students are incredible ❤️ Natasha and Andres helped provide life-saving care to an unresponsive individu… https://t.co/0Z6GFRrEk334 days ago